ROCATD colleagues enjoyed a great morning of networking and discussion of Work Rules (Insights from Inside Google). We'd recommend picking-up a copy of the book to read over the holidays. Maybe you will get a couple ideas like we did to implement in 2017.
A couple thoughts from our discussion:
- Founder mindset - taking responsibility for your environment
- Culture eats strategy for breakfast
- Hire smarter than you
- Learning and development - chunk it and practice a lot
- Googler to Googler (GtoG) - internal experts share their knowledge of work-related subject matter as well as non-work related topics = culture of learning. Your best teachers are already inside your organization.
- Culture of innovation, experimentation and analytics
- Culture defined by mission and voice
- 20% of every team member's time allocated to what they want to learn, teach and work on = creativity and innovation
If you have read or read the book, share your insights and thoughts with a post. See everyone at our next ROCATD event or SIG meeting.